The Cas program:
The CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) Program is a core requirement of the International Baccalaureate program and is also graduation requirement set by Al-Arqam College Preparatory. ACP Juniors and Seniors are required to finish 150 hours altogether; 75 hours each year respectively. 50 of those hours should fit under the Creativity category, the other 50 under the Action category, and the last 50 under the Service category. Students are expected to be involved in CAS activities each week during the two years of the Diploma programme and are encouraged to reflect on their CAS activities on a regular basis.The International Baccalaureate Organization says that the CAS Program aims to provide IB students " a refreshing counterbalance to academic studies" and hopes that through the CAS Program students develop into reflective thinkers, balanced students, are able to take risks, become confident within themselves, and are aware of their responsibilities as members of a community. Each category for the CAS program is individual and specific in what it entails.
- Creativity is interpreted broadly to include a wide range of activities that involve creative thinking. Creativity provides students with the opportunity to explore their own sense of original thinking and expression.
- Example: planning an event and contributing by using your creativity.
- Service requires students to understand their capacity to make a meaningful contribution to their community and society. Through Service, students develop and apply personal and social skills in real-life situations involving decision-making, problem solving, initiative, responsibility, and accountability for their actions.
- Example: any type of community service like volunteering at a soup kitchen
*any type of activity you do that you get paid for does not count as CAS hours
- For more information or any questions you have, email Sister Karina Hernandez, the CAS organizer and high school vice principal
*To keep all your hours tracked and organized, use a log sheet. Link: CAS Activity Log